Travel Report Same Booster


Mlalo1.JPG (20078 Byte)

The road up to Vudee is steep and narrow!

Mlalo2.JPG (19274 Byte)

Mlalo4.JPG (17004 Byte)

Mlalo3.JPG (19012 Byte)

Mlalo5.JPG (24808 Byte)

We dropped two ofour passengers in Vudee at the old mission.

Mlalo6.JPG (28313 Byte)

The road further on is getting repared now!

Mlalo7.JPG (22786 Byte)

This is the old electricity meter at the church in Ndolwa

Mlalo8.JPG (26153 Byte)

The earth cable rund down here up again on the other side and then from there up to the transmitter!

Mlalo9.JPG (23721 Byte)

We had to fix the battery again

Mlalo10.JPG (22736 Byte)

Unloading of the antenna when we climbed the mountain

Mlalo11.JPG (20513 Byte)

Mlalo12.JPG (22725 Byte)

Steepwayup the Shengenna

Mlalo13.JPG (25103 Byte)

The rain has washed the cable free

Mlalo15.JPG (20797 Byte)

The shelter did not open

Mlalo16.JPG (19071 Byte)

Exchanging the antenna

Mlalo17.JPG (13623 Byte)

It is getting dark until we had replaced the antenna

Mlalo14.JPG (16837 Byte)

Unfortunately Evangelist Eliatosha Mnzava, who helped us to set up the Booster for the Paare Mountains and helped us all the time since, is now in Dar Es Salaam.
His son, still going to the secondary school is taking care of the booster these days. We solved many problems just by calling him by phone and he did the work at the booster site. That is the reason why we did not come to the booster site in person for the last 3 years!

We noticed an intermittent fault with the antenna for quite some time. But now it was continuous and we had to exchange the antenna. This antenna is at that transmitting place since the last 8 years, and there is a hush, windy weather at that place. No wonder some contacts went bad with the wind playing and the rain corroding all the contacts!
We are thankful the studio driver could bring us there with the studio car, since many people were needed to bring down the antenna pipe, and the Box car has just 3 regular seats.

We had to stop in Same at the office of Tanesco. We had to return the form to get a own electricity meter for our transmitter. Since the evangelist changed we are no longer welcomed to use a common meter with the church congregation. Since it took a long time to open a new electricity account, we left the money with the manager and passed by again on the way back to fetch the receipts.

We really feared the way up in the mountains could be slippery during the rainy season. But actually the people there got a druid and the road was dusty. We stopped in Vudee, where German missionaries started to bring the Good News 100 years ago, to drop 2 passengers and continued to the church of Dolwa, where the electricity meter is located.
When the driver wanted to start the car again he noticed that there was no connection to the battery any more. The battery holding backed was broken and the battery lying on the engine. It was close that the battery case was broken and the acid finished. We tried to fix the battery with a binding wire and to reconnect the broken terminals. As soon as we succeeded we continued our safari across the next valley to the point we could start to climb Mt Shengenna up to the transmitter.

We took the way the cable takes to bring up the electricity to the transmitter. On some places the rain has washed down the   soil above the soil above the wire, and it is dangerous if the cable is open. On the way people could destroy it with a panga, and on the bush area a fire can burn it. So we left some money with the person in charge to burry the cable again everywhere. As soon as enough money will be available it should be replaced with an armed earth cable to be more resistive to injuries.

It took nearly a complete hour until we came to the transmitter. Unfortunately we did not succeed to open the door. We called Evangelist Eliatosha in Dar, but even that did not help to open the door. We decided to take down the antenna first. Since the antenna cable was short we had to take even out the screw at the bottom to move it some bit.

Now opening the old antenna gave us an headache after one of our pliers broke. We simply did not had enough power to turn the socked of the old antenna to take it off. It was so badly rusted. We sucked all in penetrating oil, but it did not move. We hammered against it, cut all the old antenna, but no movement.

It was nearly six in the evening we said "If God wants us to repair this transmitter He will show us a way to open this socked!", and I tried to look again through the tools I had with me. I found an old adjustable spanner. We fixed it on the socked. I  hold the pipe with the wrangle and Temper hammered the spanner to turn the socked. By putting all his Force left it started to move! We could replace the antenna, took it up, but had to lower it again, because we had turned the telemetry antenna around. We took it up again. Meanwhile Zawadi had succeed really to open the shelter. We cleaned it. Unfortunately the meter switch of the transmitter did not work any more. So until we could receive the telemetry data in Moshi we did not knew, whether we were successful with our antenna!

It was nearly dark when we finished, and we had go back again to the car! And all the way back to Same, where the tomaked road started we had ro reconnect the battery again and again several times..

On the road we compared the signal of Radio Maria in Maua with ours in Kidia. There is really such a big difference if we could use 2000 Watts instead of 20 Watts, and we have to not to loose our listeners!

We arrived in Moshi around 10 o’clock at night.


  Shenghantenna1.JPG (25505 Byte)

Tuning and sealing the new antenna in Moshi

Shenghantenna2.JPG (26728 Byte)