Lore Ahnert-Böckler
Martin Ahnert

P.O.Box 777

Travel Report For Karatu 20. - 23. November 2008

Karatu1.JPG (13169 Byte)

Fundi Macha is getting the iron door ready

Karatu2.JPG (20429 Byte)

Packing the office car with the rafters, Box and corrugated iron sheets

Karatu3.JPG (18852 Byte)

Stop in Arusha buying vaccum cleaner

Karatu5.JPG (16541 Byte)

Getting to the Riftvalley

Karatu6.JPG (32193 Byte)

Assigned place for the new booster

Karatu7.JPG (35982 Byte)

Building the roof on top of the hut

Karatu9.JPG (25225 Byte)

Karatu8.JPG (36240 Byte)

Buying fired clay bricks locally

Karatu10.JPG (28758 Byte)

Unloading the bricks

Karatu11.JPG (14702 Byte)

"ELCT Jimbo Centre", where we stayd over night

Karatu12.JPG (15774 Byte)

Big driver


Because the door of the new booster station had to dry up to Thursday morning, we could start to load all the materials for the booster in Karatu on Thursday morning. We took the door, a big wooden Box for the transmitter, the rafter, corrugated iron sheets, the iron tubes for the antenna mast, and the receiving antennas. We bought 2 bags of Cement on the way to Arusha.

In Arusha we had to bring a letter to the ELCT head quarter. Since the treasurer had not been in, we had to leave it there without further action. Then we passed by the electric shop Benson to buy a vacuum cleaner, since all two are broken at the studio for months, and the carpets have to be cleaned.

It took us 1 1/2 hours up to Makuyuni, the junction to Karatu and just another 1 1/2 hours up to Karatu because the road is excellently covered in tormarc these days! We passed by the Jimbo Centre to make the reservation for night accommodation and continued to the hospital. There we met the personal secretary of the hospital manager, who advised us to return the next morning at 8 o’clock for morning devotion. There were no officials at the hospital right then.

So we returned for morning devotion the next day and had the chance to talk with the hospital administrator and the doctor in charge. They fetched the hospital technician and showed us the place where we could set up the small transmitter hut and antennas. They were very much cooperative and helpful.

Sifueli, the hospital technician was very skilled, helping to align the box, putting the rafters, attaching the door and putting the corrugated iron sheets on top of it. Having finishied all that,  we had lunch, further talks with the hospital administration and took off in the afternoon to buy fired clay bricks for building the walls around the transmitter hut.

Sifueli knew exactly how to calculate the number needed, where to get them, and how much they are costing. We took all 210 bricks on one trip and unloaded them at the transmitter site.

Returning to the "Jimbo Centre" we bought 2 additional Cement bags, since Sifueli told us the two previous ones are not sufficient. We returned them to the hospital on Saturday morning. We had further talks with Samueli about building the walls around the hut, and organized the necessary sand for it through calling the administrator by phone. We agreed on his salary to build the transmitter hut. Then I had the chance to plot the frequency occupation plan at the transmitter site. We could rest in the Jimbo Centre on Saturday afternoon and returned to Moshi on Sunday, passing the children home of Sr. Angelica, where they opened the new wing officially with some festivities. We stopped another time in Usariver at the "Cradle of Love" where everybody was happy to see Prisca again, and how she is developing. 

Martin und Lore